Happy New year everyone
Local Musician Andy Williamson bought himself a cargo trike for shopping and possibly carting his instruments around. These things are seriously heavy and he wanted to improve both the go and the stoping capacity of it, and, he wanted to be able to fit a decent set of cranks, rather than the one piece BMX style that it was made to accept. Given the brakes this thing had (see pics below) I am not at all surprised with the stopping wish. He purchased a front wheel with an electric hub and disk brake and while he went off to the Woodford Folk Festival asked me to make it all possible. The front wheel was fairly simple. I needed to narrow the gap between the dropouts and then given the difference in axle diameter, turn up a new set of drive washers. There was no way that the wheel was going to sit in these dropouts and not move under braking. Once that was done I knew it was just another disk tab addition
The crank issue was another story. The original setup used a BB shell with a set of 40mm diameter steps that accommodated the pressed in cups. While the 40 mm’s was favourable, the BB stepped down through the centre to something a lot smaller. I decided to carve the ends off a BB shell made for lugs and braze them in to the stepped recess. Given the outside diameter of a threaded BB shell is 40mm this was the clear way to go. I had originally hoped that the internal step might not be so great and that I could turn down the shell to fit. No such luck but at least it wasn’t so big that a sealed BB wouldn’t pass through once it had threads.
All in all I was happy with the solution and Andy was happy to know that he could at last fit a decent set of cranks and didn’t have to rely on that original brake. Sorry there are no pictures of the entire vehicle. I got carried away with the process