Moultons have often interested me. I never really wanted one and had never worked on one before this but the fact that they are a different concept in bikes and in their day, very innovative, has always been there. This one came in for repairs on its carrier.
The rack had been repaired before and had seen better days but in the owners defense the fact that they are cantilevered out doesn’t bode well for a long life.
The previous repair looked to have been done with an arc welder given the fact that rust aside, a lot of the tubing had been eaten away by the heat of the fix. I cut out sections of the tube and made up replacement lengths along with sections that went inside to support them.
I could have built a new rack but then it wouldn’t have been an original Moulton one. I decided to make up some support webbing to go underneath and in order to preserve the flat top of the rack chose to limit the wrapping to the unloaded end. I feel pretty confident that this rack will see lots more use now and is in keeping with what originally came from the factory